Skip to main content

Sources of Motivation

This week is the last week before the spring semester begins at Valdosta State University (VSU). Before the whirlwind of classes and advising begins, I wanted to first inform readers about the motivation for this blog and to update you on my goals so far...

Motivation. Although she may not know this, Kathe Lowney, has been one of my mentors during my time as an assistant professor. She is the catalyst that initially encouraged me to write this blog. We are both writing a post a week for 52 weeks. Find her blog about teaching here. Although Kathe is now retired, she is still affecting my professional and personal development! Thanks, Kathe!

Health. The team-based weight loss program I have joined officially started this week. It was unfortunate timing because did my first weigh in right after running 7 miles in a race... Here is a photo of me taken by Herb Wills, a Tallahassee running legend now photographer and blogger. It was towards the end and I was straight up walking until I saw Herb. He gave me the motivation to jog to the finish line. In addition to running, I have been able to incorporate yoga into my work day by visiting some of the local Valdosta studios. Hanging by my hips and nothing else in a Superman pose was a new experience at Hangout Yoga. I highly recommend aerial yoga if looking for an upper body workout. Yoga Central downtown was also very convenient and relaxing this week as I was updating and improving my syllabi and classes. Next, my husband and 21-month old will be doing a 10-mile training run with me at the St. Marks Trail in Tallahassee, a 16-mile, flat, paved trail.

Office Beverage StationWealth. To save money, my goal is to spend less at coffee shops, my favorite kind of hangout. I started writing this post from Grassroots - my first time there all week - so my goal to drink coffee at home and work only is going moderately well. This trip was absolutely necessary because we ran out of coffee beans at home! However, I have now set up a cute beverage station in the office... please excuse the pile of papers to be filed... Let's be honest: coffee is a source of motivation.

142957Happiness. Out of the 12-book goal, I have already read 3 books! With a 50-minute commute and an Audible account, it wasn't that hard. Even though my parents were not alcoholics, I found Janet Geringer Woititz's books very helpful. They had been recommended to me over and over again by various colleagues. Motivated to learn more about the counseling profession, I finally took the time to read these books: Adult Children of Alcoholics, Struggle for Intimacy, and Lifeskills for Adult Children. Find my reviews of these books and others here. I'm currently reading a parenting book on conscious discipline with the major premise being the same one my dissertation was founded: You cannot give what you don't have (the Peter Effect). If a parent does not have self-control, they cannot teach self-control. Or in the case of my dissertation, if a teacher is not self-regulated, they cannot teach students to be self-regulated.

Please send me your books recommendations and I will continue to update goal progress every once and a while. Next week's post will not have this structure, but will discuss the first week back to classes, teaching teachers about teaching, and more about being a #professormom.

Dr. Arrastia-Chisholm

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Writing on the Wall: Arguing Against Spanking

It's the 5th week of school and by now we have covered behaviorism and operant conditioning in all three of the classes I teach. I teach that we reinforce productive, desirable behavior before punishing undesirable behavior, and that removal punishment (taking away a privilege or object) should be used before resorting to presentation punishment (scolding or a negative consequence). This is counterintuitive, especially because many of us were raised in environments in which corporal punishment was normative. Discussion is always freeform in my classes and comments are encouraged. I present concrete situations from real life, like my daughter drawing on the wall or a student not being able to stay seated during on-task time. Inevitably spanking comes up in these educational psychology discussions. "If you just pop them, then they will stop immediately... If I got hit, I never did the thing again... little kids are too young to understand other consequences..." As a mot

On Fridays We Wear Red

Today is the last day of the first week of the spring semester at Valdosta State University . Every Friday we wear red to show school spirit. I went ahead and just bought red glasses to make things easier! This semester I *get to* teach two sections of an introductory educational psychology course, called Exploring Learning and Teaching, along with an online section of Educational Psychology for Teaching Adults. These are not new preps; in other words, I have taught these classes before and get to have fun with them. This first week is just an introduction so I chose to try out this empathetic syllabi review exercise from the blog, Faculty Focus . In my face-to-face sections, I asked students to bring in their syllabi and critically review them for missing information, as well as mark important dates in their calendars (paper or electronic). This then facilitated a discussion about why some instructors may leave out due dates or points for each assignment. This is my attempt t

Gamification for ADHD: This week's experience with Forest

This week I learned about an app, called Forest , from an academic mom group and immediately had to try it. Here is a really good  review  all about the app by Amy French. I did spring for the $1.99 paid version that allows you to connect with friends... This is a perfect example of gamification applied to staying on task, which is a primary problem for those of us who struggle with ADHD. Elements of gamification that the app uses includes points (leaves) earned for minutes spent on task. This is measured by not being able to toggle to any other app on the phone. One of my friends already pointed out that a browser version would be more helpful for her and guess what?!? The developers of Forest have a free Chrome extension you can use. For every block of time spent on task/off your phone (25 minutes is the default setting), your forest grows a tree and you earn points . With points (leaves) you can buy ( unlock ) special privileges, background music/sounds, and different types o