Skip to main content

Donuts and Intuitive Eating

On my commute to work each day, I pass by not one but two donut shops. I'm not talking about Krispy Kreme or Dunkin. These are two distinctly homemade donut shops - one in Thomasville, called Nanee's Donut Hole and the other in Valdosta, called Dixie Cream Donut Shop. Each morning I have to fight the urge to stop in and buy a donut, not once but twice on my way into work. Often I think that if I stop in and buy a box of donuts for my students that it is in some way more altruistic and maybe that will pardon the unhealthy decision. The truth is that many of my students don't eat sweets. It seems that college students are a lot more health conscious than they used to be. Whereas, I remember eating just about anything that was free on campus as a student, some of my students routinely decline the free pop tarts the BCM (Baptist Campus Ministry) hands out every Wednesday. But I digress...

Back to the donuts... Nanee's has a few specialities that can't go unmentioned. My two favorites are not always visible in their display case, but can be ordered off-menu. My first favorite is the caramel glazed donut topped with crispy chopped bacon. Mmmm... These delicacies can also be found at Grassroots coffee shop in the morning along with other "fancy donuts" while supplies last. My other favorite item at Nanee's is called an ugly. It's simply a small pizza-sized amount of glazed fried dough. Yum! If you order one, plan on sharing even though you won't want to... At Dixie Cream, all the donuts are cake donuts and delicious. They have a flavor of the day that rotates and I have been lucky enough to try their blueberry cake donut. It's to die for.


The incredible urge I feel to eat all the donuts each day is what the author of Intuitive Eating says is the downside of dieting. Instead, she encourages people to "eat like toddlers" without denying ourselves of any particular foods and to listen to our natural hunger and satiety cues. This is the book I read in February (yes still keeping up with that goal) and it makes sense, but I'm still dieting - avoiding excess carbs, refined sugars, and eating a lot of protein. Apparently intuitive eating is something that we have to relearn after years of disordered eating and a dieting mindset because honestly, my hunger cues say to eat all the sweets. I grew up in a Cuban bakery eating whatever I wanted so what do you expect? I still recommend this book to anyone else that has to recover from the dieting mentality. I personally work well with calorie counts and food restrictions, but that's not real life. There are always work trips, vacations, birthdays, and eating on the run. We have to adapt and be flexible. Besides, food is something to enjoy. I want to model this for my daughter without negative self-talk. I don't want her to learn that there are good and bad foods. Maybe it's better for her to learn that there are "sometimes" foods as my husband says. He has a much healthier relationship with food... Maybe it is genetic, after all. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Writing on the Wall: Arguing Against Spanking

It's the 5th week of school and by now we have covered behaviorism and operant conditioning in all three of the classes I teach. I teach that we reinforce productive, desirable behavior before punishing undesirable behavior, and that removal punishment (taking away a privilege or object) should be used before resorting to presentation punishment (scolding or a negative consequence). This is counterintuitive, especially because many of us were raised in environments in which corporal punishment was normative. Discussion is always freeform in my classes and comments are encouraged. I present concrete situations from real life, like my daughter drawing on the wall or a student not being able to stay seated during on-task time. Inevitably spanking comes up in these educational psychology discussions. "If you just pop them, then they will stop immediately... If I got hit, I never did the thing again... little kids are too young to understand other consequences..." As a mot

On Fridays We Wear Red

Today is the last day of the first week of the spring semester at Valdosta State University . Every Friday we wear red to show school spirit. I went ahead and just bought red glasses to make things easier! This semester I *get to* teach two sections of an introductory educational psychology course, called Exploring Learning and Teaching, along with an online section of Educational Psychology for Teaching Adults. These are not new preps; in other words, I have taught these classes before and get to have fun with them. This first week is just an introduction so I chose to try out this empathetic syllabi review exercise from the blog, Faculty Focus . In my face-to-face sections, I asked students to bring in their syllabi and critically review them for missing information, as well as mark important dates in their calendars (paper or electronic). This then facilitated a discussion about why some instructors may leave out due dates or points for each assignment. This is my attempt t

Gamification for ADHD: This week's experience with Forest

This week I learned about an app, called Forest , from an academic mom group and immediately had to try it. Here is a really good  review  all about the app by Amy French. I did spring for the $1.99 paid version that allows you to connect with friends... This is a perfect example of gamification applied to staying on task, which is a primary problem for those of us who struggle with ADHD. Elements of gamification that the app uses includes points (leaves) earned for minutes spent on task. This is measured by not being able to toggle to any other app on the phone. One of my friends already pointed out that a browser version would be more helpful for her and guess what?!? The developers of Forest have a free Chrome extension you can use. For every block of time spent on task/off your phone (25 minutes is the default setting), your forest grows a tree and you earn points . With points (leaves) you can buy ( unlock ) special privileges, background music/sounds, and different types o