Skip to main content

Creating a Safe Learning Environment While Living in Fear of School Violence

I follow the chapter order of the textbook I use in my EDUC 2130 class. Chapter 8 covers instructional strategies so you would think that the following chapter covers assessment strategies. That would be too logical. Instead, the subject of creating a safe learning environment is inserted between these two chapters. In reality, I am 100% okay with this detour because it makes certain that we cover this topic before the very end of the semester.

Although I didn't get to attend the session, I was inspired by the work of Christy Galletta Horner, Kristina LaVenia, and Oluwatobi Ishola of Bowling Green State University. They presented their study, entitled "'Why Don’t We Talk about This?': Preservice Teachers’ Perspectives on School Violence."

Before sharing the results of their study with my students, I had my students reflect on their own feelings concerning school violence/safety, their training concerning this matter, and how all of this potentially affected their commitment. Unsurprisingly, my students had similar concerns as the students in Horner et al.'s sample. They expressed this as an added worry that comes with the territory of being a teacher. Among concerns, the lack of training to even break up fights or know protocol in the case of school violence was a chief concern. Teachers being encouraged to carry weapons concerned some and made other more at ease. Despite all these issues, uncertainty, and lack of training during their teacher preparation program all my students were just as steadfast in their commitment to their profession. The same was true for Horner et al.'s sample.

Then two things happened:

1) This fueled a student effort to start talking about school violence and proactive ways to reduce aggression and violence. A representative of the Future Black Educators Association contacted me to help support this effort. I suggested bringing in veteran teachers to share their experiences with students.

2) At least one student had an extreme external reaction. At the beginning of class I gave a trigger warning and recognized that some of the topics covered this week may cause distress. I explicitly gave students permission to leave the room if needed. No one left during the discussion, but one student did need to debrief with me after class because the topic caused them such distress. This person admitted that just talking about school violence made them worry for others almost to the point of an anxiety attack. As a future middle grades teacher, I encouraged her to continue to talk about these topics and learn more.

Although I am glad we had these discussions, I wish that the fear associated with school violence could go away long enough for us to focus on what really matters - preventing aggression by meeting the needs of children and teaching them to be kind. We need to focus on early intervention and prevention of trauma through the explicit instruction of coping strategies and healthy communication skills. Easier said than done. Next on the docket before we tackle assessment strategies: trauma-based education.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Writing on the Wall: Arguing Against Spanking

It's the 5th week of school and by now we have covered behaviorism and operant conditioning in all three of the classes I teach. I teach that we reinforce productive, desirable behavior before punishing undesirable behavior, and that removal punishment (taking away a privilege or object) should be used before resorting to presentation punishment (scolding or a negative consequence). This is counterintuitive, especially because many of us were raised in environments in which corporal punishment was normative. Discussion is always freeform in my classes and comments are encouraged. I present concrete situations from real life, like my daughter drawing on the wall or a student not being able to stay seated during on-task time. Inevitably spanking comes up in these educational psychology discussions. "If you just pop them, then they will stop immediately... If I got hit, I never did the thing again... little kids are too young to understand other consequences..." As a mot

On Fridays We Wear Red

Today is the last day of the first week of the spring semester at Valdosta State University . Every Friday we wear red to show school spirit. I went ahead and just bought red glasses to make things easier! This semester I *get to* teach two sections of an introductory educational psychology course, called Exploring Learning and Teaching, along with an online section of Educational Psychology for Teaching Adults. These are not new preps; in other words, I have taught these classes before and get to have fun with them. This first week is just an introduction so I chose to try out this empathetic syllabi review exercise from the blog, Faculty Focus . In my face-to-face sections, I asked students to bring in their syllabi and critically review them for missing information, as well as mark important dates in their calendars (paper or electronic). This then facilitated a discussion about why some instructors may leave out due dates or points for each assignment. This is my attempt t

Gamification for ADHD: This week's experience with Forest

This week I learned about an app, called Forest , from an academic mom group and immediately had to try it. Here is a really good  review  all about the app by Amy French. I did spring for the $1.99 paid version that allows you to connect with friends... This is a perfect example of gamification applied to staying on task, which is a primary problem for those of us who struggle with ADHD. Elements of gamification that the app uses includes points (leaves) earned for minutes spent on task. This is measured by not being able to toggle to any other app on the phone. One of my friends already pointed out that a browser version would be more helpful for her and guess what?!? The developers of Forest have a free Chrome extension you can use. For every block of time spent on task/off your phone (25 minutes is the default setting), your forest grows a tree and you earn points . With points (leaves) you can buy ( unlock ) special privileges, background music/sounds, and different types o