Skip to main content

Revisiting Zotero

If you are like me you have a million research projects going on at the same time in various stages of completion. No matter what stage of the process you may be in your current project, one thing is always driving us - the literature. When academics say "literature" we aren't talking about the books I am reading my daughter every night. Most often we are talking about peer-reviewed sources, like journal articles.

Having easy access to journal articles and citations is necessary for efficient, beast researcher mode. This summer I am not teaching, so my goal is to be in this mode the whole time. Writing a literature reviews is everyone’s favorite part of research right? I personally struggle with keeping track of articles that I find and piecing them together in meaningful ways.

Recently our e-learning center at VSU had a training on how to use Zotero. This is a free citation management system that I started to use back in graduate school (around 2009) and stopped using when I got lazy. A citation management system is any organized way to sort and store information about the sources that you want to cite and draw from in your research. Most of us were introduced to the index card method in elementary school in which we wrote out the reference citation on one side and important quotes or a summary on the other side of the index card - these cards were then sorted to outline an argument or alphabetized to list in the bibliography. Pretty much the next step up from that would be the annotated bibliography or just an Excel spreadsheet with references list in terms of metadata or other key information.

Zotero is definitely an upgrade from your homemade spreadsheet. However, you can export citations and your notes into a spreadsheet if that is your jam. Zotero comes with a plugin for Chrome and other browsers so that you can add the metadata and link to an article automatically with the click of a button. Here is a screenshot of my database on my desktop, which can be sorted by author, publication date, as well as journal/type of publication.


You can also access your database remotely from the Zotero website. It is also a really neat how you can select a certain keyword and then see which other keywords are used within that group of sources. In this screenshot are sources with the keyword "Self-regulation." Pro-tip: Capitalize any keywords that you manually add to sources so that they merge with the ones from databases.

Some other features of this citation management system that I am enjoying include the group function in which you can share sources with others that you are working with. I don't really work alone on any research project so I anticipate using this often. Another feature I really like about Zotero is the timeline feature. Creating a timeline of sources is especially useful if you are trying to write a systematic review or the history of a particular phenomenon in your field. In addition, Zotero can be used within Microsoft Office to add in-text citations and references lists into your manuscripts directly. I am sure there are many other useful features to discover.

I plan to diligently use Zotero this summer and require my research assistants to, as well. How do you manage your references? Will you give Zotero a try? Let me know how it goes. Happy Writing!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Help with Homework - a Southside Library Success!

In case you have been following what my EDUC 2130 students have been doing at the Southside Library , here is another update . Last week was the last time the preservice teachers met with the K-12 students at the Southside Library. On the very last day, families and volunteers celebrated with food donated from a local Chick-fil-a and custom certificates for each participants. Over 100 kiddos were tutored in the 20 sessions at this semester with over 80 tutors volunteering as part of their field experience. Now I am reading all of the VSU students' reflections about their experiences. Every single student has admitted to having a positive experience. They noticed things about their own learning and the learning of the kiddos they helped. They noticed social processes and peer relationships forming. They also noticed the impact of socioeconomic status, food scarcity, and relative poverty in the Valdosta community. I think it is really telling that every student, faculty, staff, ...

Orientation at Southside

Being a professor can often be rewarding. This isn't to say that the salary is high or that the thank you notes pile up every day. It's all about the small victories and the change overtime. This past week I have had both! The small victory included a student coming into my office and exclaiming that they changed their major to education! This is the same student that had come in earlier in the semester having trouble applying educational psychology to her field. Instead, she just changed her field to education... More importantly, this week I have gotten to be apart of some change overtime. Over the past few months I have made it a mission to connect with the Valdosta community. This involved volunteering for the attendance matters campaign at Maceo Horne Learning Center (the alternative school in town), participating in Family Fun Night with my counselor education students at Pinevale Elementary, and working with Valdosta City Schools on their social emotional learning init...

On Fridays We Wear Red

Today is the last day of the first week of the spring semester at Valdosta State University . Every Friday we wear red to show school spirit. I went ahead and just bought red glasses to make things easier! This semester I *get to* teach two sections of an introductory educational psychology course, called Exploring Learning and Teaching, along with an online section of Educational Psychology for Teaching Adults. These are not new preps; in other words, I have taught these classes before and get to have fun with them. This first week is just an introduction so I chose to try out this empathetic syllabi review exercise from the blog, Faculty Focus . In my face-to-face sections, I asked students to bring in their syllabi and critically review them for missing information, as well as mark important dates in their calendars (paper or electronic). This then facilitated a discussion about why some instructors may leave out due dates or points for each assignment. This is my attempt t...